How Do I Declare Bankruptcy?
When you arrive for your appointment, you should bring the following documents with you if possible:
- Debt counseling certificate (see below). If both husband and wife are filing, a certificate must be obtained for each person. The certificates may be sent directly to our office by the agency you use to obtain the certificate. You will not need a certificate for your free consultation with our office.
- Picture ID (driver’s license) and Social Security card. A W-2, pay stub or other items may be substituted.
- Verification of the amount of income you received (pay stubs, a computer print-out from your employer and other items may be substituted) during the six months prior to the date you file your case.
- Name and address of all of your creditors, whether or not you plan on keeping the property. A credit report can be useful for obtaining this information. If you do not have a current credit report, our office can assist you in obtaining one.
- A copy of any domestic and child support order.
- A copy of your last year’s tax return if you are filing a Chapter 7 case. If you are unable to locate a copy of your tax return, our office can assist you in obtaining one.
- A copy of installment contracts for vehicles (check your glove box in the vehicle).
- Proof of insurance for each vehicle you are keeping.
- Property assessments and appraisals on a real and personal property, if any.
IMPORTANT: The Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005 requires, with a few exceptions, that you obtain a debt counseling certificate before you file for relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We have listed several agencies approved by the United States Trustee Department below.
Bankruptcy Management Services
Best Credit Service, Inc.
2400 Crestwood Road, Suite 206
North Little Rock, AR 72116
(800) 435-7227 ** (501) 753-1157
Money Management International
9009 West Loop South, 7th Floor
Houston, TX 77096
Credit Counseling of Arkansas, Inc.
1111 Zion Road
Fayetteville, AR 72703
Consumer Counseling Centers of America
9330 LBJ Freeway, #900
Dallas, TX 75379
Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Greater Atlanta
100 Edgewood Avenue, #1800
Atlanta, GA 30303
Family Service Agency, Inc.
628 West Broadway, Suite 203
North Little Rock, AR 72114
(800) 225-2227 or (501) 753-0202
- Approved Credit Counseling Agencies (11 U.S.C. Sec. 111)
- Debtor Education Agencies (11 U.S.C. Sec. 111).
NOTE: UNLESS SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES EXIST, A DEBTOR MUST RECEIVE A DEBTOR EDUCATION CERTIFICATE BEFORE OBTAINING A DISCHARGE.